How Do I Begin the Process of Downsizing & Moving?
Moving is one of the biggest decisions of your life! The emotions and work involved can seem overwhelming, but your new lifestyle will make everything worth the initial hassle. There are some tips and tricks to make the transition easier to manage for older adults. It’s important to remember you’re not in this alone!
Older adults may prefer to work with a Senior Real Estate Specialist — someone who is trained in and has experience with working with seniors. They’ll be able to advise and help with the practical parts of selling a house, including:
- Deciding the value of the home and other financial planning
- The timing of the sale
- Determining the necessary size of the new residence
- Legalities surrounding the sale and inspection; other realtor services
- Which home improvements and updates should be made before putting it on the market
- Staging the home to make it more attractive to potential sellers
A Certified Senior Move Manager can make the move easier, by helping with the emotional parts. They will:
- Consult with you to create a plan, broken down into manageable steps with predetermined roles for all involved
- Act as an intermediary, if necessary, between older adults and their adult children
- Go through possessions and help to determine which to keep and which to pack
- Help pack and move!
- Arrange an estate sale or charitable donation pick up
Here’s how to start the process:
- Plan your future home. See what’s available; tour nearby senior communities to decide which is right for you.
- Determine how much your home is worth. (A Senior Real Estate Specialist can help)
- Decide where you would like to move.
- Start to downsize — engaging the help of a Certified Senior Move Manager
- Prepare for the sale
- Sell your house
- Move — Enjoy your new home!