What to Look for in a 55+ Community
It doesn’t matter how young or old you are. Deciding where you would like to live is a big deal! Will you feel comfortable in your new home? Are you going to like your neighbors? Are they going to like you? Is there someone nearby in case there is an emergency and you need assistance? When you’re considering moving to a continuing care retirement community, these decisions can feel weightier than ever. It’s hard to know where to begin! Read on to find out what to look for in a 55+ community, so you can enjoy the retirement you worked so hard for.
What to Consider When Selecting a CCRC
We know that finding a continuing care retirement community isn’t as easy as it looks. It’s important to know what you want in a senior living community before you start looking! Figure out your personal preferences when considering the following to figure out which senior living community is right for you:
- Family Proximity: How close to your children or relatives would you like to live? Many older adults plan to stay in their current neighborhood, while others are more willing to change cities to be closer to their family.
- Senior Living Housing Options: What size senior living community are you most interested in? Senior living communities come in all different shapes and sizes. From 8-person group homes where everyone shares a common living area to a community with 600 apartments with numerous amenities and activities, there are plenty of options for you to choose from.
- Selecting a CCRC: What happens when you need a higher level of care? Not only do senior living communities vary in size, but they also vary in the type of care and living options they provide, ranging from solely offering independent retirement living, assisted living, rehabilitation or skilled nursing, offering a combination of these, or even an entire continuum of care all on one campus. If a community does not offer higher levels of care, you will again have to move to another community when the time comes. That’s why continuing care retirement communities have become more popular over the years. This is especially important for couples who could be separated if one spouse needs more care than the other.
- How Much Does It Cost?: While each senior living community will have a monthly fee, what’s included in that fee could vary. Some charge for utilities and services like laundry and housekeeping, while others are all-inclusive. Many communities require you to pay an entrance fee. When looking at senior living housing, make sure to ask what happens if you run out of money. Some communities will ask you to leave, while others provide charity care to residents who have outlived their resources.
- What Are the Key Features?: What type of amenities and available activities would you like to have? Knowing the answer can make selecting a CCRC much easier. For example, if you are someone who likes to join book clubs, attend wine tastings, and frequent exercise classes, a larger senior living community with an expansive activity calendar could work for you. If you prefer a quiet atmosphere with only a few neighbors and are ok with sharing common living areas, a small community may be a better fit.
- Don’t Forget About Transportation: How do you plan to get around? Most communities offer medical van transportation to and from doctor’s appointments, while others also have regularly scheduled shopping buses and group transportation to off-site entertainment. If you still drive, ask about parking availability and cost. Many communities offer indoor parking.
- Faith Based Senior Living: Do you prefer a faith-based atmosphere? Faith-based senior living communities provide pastoral care, including on-site worship services, chapels, Bible studies, and chaplains on staff. There is an emphasis on spiritual life and involvement.
After determining your preferences, it’s time to schedule tours of the type of senior living community you’re most interested in. When touring, come prepared with a list of questions, or a checklist of the amenities you want to see. This will make it easier for you to compare communities and decide which senior living community is right for you.
Explore Senior Living Housing at Luther Manor
Now that you know what to look for in a 55+ community, put your list of preferences to the test by experiencing everything Luther Manor has to offer. Our continuing care retirement community is committed to enriching the life of every resident. Contact our team today to learn more about the vibrant lifestyle that awaits you at Luther Manor.